Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Balance and Transition with Danny Noyes



This morning we continued our progression on skates from last week with Danny Noyes, SDSC Director and Head Alpine Ski Coach at Colby College. In the eight years that Danny has been at Colby he has coached 9 NCAA Division I All-Americans, three individual eastern carnival race winners, and four teams have won a carnival's team scoring.  At the NCAA Div I Championships, the Colby Teams have placed as high as 5th several times in the last few years against Division I Scholarship Universities like Vermont, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, New Hampshire, Montana State, and Alaska.



Campers started by reviewing or solidifying their basic athletic stance, before moving to focus greatly on our transitions. They worked their way through 6 skating lanes, each emphasizing different aspects of transition. I think the kids would agree with me when I say that the session structure really helped bring out Danny's session's goal.

Us coaches were really impressed with the questions posed to us as all the campers kept looking for more things on which they could improve. I know personally I also heard many people mention how the feedback they were getting from coaches related to the things they have been working on in their skiing. Props to Danny for setting up another great skate session that emulated much of our skiing!



Dark clouds curling over Mount Mansfield threatened to end our session early, but we escaped just before the first rain drops. And the smiles kept coming :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment